What is a Labyrinth » Other Permanent Labyrinths in NZ
St Lukes Christchurch builds an outdoor labyrinth
Click on the photo to visit the website for the full story.
St Columbia's in Auckland
The Anglican church of Saint Columba was built in 1930 to replace the original church that had served the parish since 1909. The church is built of brick with a tiled roof in the Victorian Gothic style, with a wooden tower and copper canopy.
The labyrinth is located at the west end of the church and is surrounded by gardens. The labyrinth is always open as it is in a public area adjacent to the church. All are welcome.
The labyrinth is based on the Chartres design and painted in swirling blues, greens and browns to reflect the colours of the South Pacific. It was designed by John Allen and installed by the St.Columba Labyrinth creation team in 2004-2005. It is made of painted concrete and is 13 metres in diameter.
Bell Block cemetery, New Plymouth
This labyrinth is built on the Chartres Cathedral design in concrete pavers edged in a charcoal contrast. The diameter is 15m. There is free access 168 hours per week.
It is just beyond the Bell Block shopping area in New Plymouth. Bishop Philip Richardson, Bishop in Taranaki, blessed the labyrinth in February 2005. It is built on the site of a former small wooden church and a lynchgate still marks the place where you enter the labyrinth.
It was built as a place for peaceful meditation and is sited in grounds that include a vista of Mt Taranaki and surrounding farmland. There has been a deliberate planting of trees and shrubs around it that are mentioned in the Bible. Local history is represented in the graves of the nearby church.
Click HERE to see more ...
Te Moata Labyrinth, Coromandel Penninsula
The Te Moata labyrinth is based on the sacred geometry of the labyrinth at Chartres Cathedral in France. It is the exact length and width of the circular pathway, has the six petalled centre and 114 lunations around the outer edge.
All the materials used are local, the clay pathways lined by river stones from a nearby beach and spiral stones at the entrance made individually at a local pottery. Hand beaten copper forms the overall shape of the labyrinth creating a distinctive contrast to the Te Moata red clay.
The labyrinth is reached by a bush walk from the nearby retreat centre. There is a green Tara meditation circle where you can spend time preparing before entering the labyrinth.
The labyrinth was built on an area cleared of dense gorse by volunteers.
Christ Church Cathedral, Nelson
A recent development at Nelson Cathedral, the permanent labyrinth in a simple design pattern is located on the ground floor in the eastern transept. It is available to visitors and parishioners alike.
St Claudine Thevenet School, Wainuiomata, Lower Hutt
Designed and build with the aid of senior students in the year 1 – 8 school. The labyrinth is cut into a concrete slab and the path defined by red in-fill concrete lined by river stones. Since it was opened in 2004 the labyrinth has remained the most popular piece of playground equipment in the school.